Saturday, April 6, 2013

Free writing in our solar system


In Mr. Sweeney’s English 101 class, we are beginning to do more in-class writing assignments; on Wednesday 3, 2013, he assigned the class a ten minute free-writing practice. After the ten minutes of writing about whatever was on our minds, Mr. Sweeney offered the chance to share our writings with the class. The assignment was enjoyable not only because I got to put my thoughts on paper, but I also got to hear what was on my classmates’ minds. On Monday 1, 2013, I was assigned an informational speech; all day Tuesday I researched outer space, so my mind was focused on our planets.

                Our solar system is now composed of eight planets; when I was growing up, there were nine planets. Pluto, the last planet in orbit around the sun, was declared to not be a real planet by NASA in 2006. The astronomers based there dentition off of the discovery of several small planet-like forms beyond Pluto. After carefully analyzing the situation, the astronomers realized Pluto and the objects behind it had more in common with each other than Pluto did with the eight other planets. As a result of this discovery, NASA formed a new classification known as Dwarf Planets; these smaller planets, Pluto now included, have little gravity and are solid rock forms. Although Pluto is no longer a part of our solar system, NASA still observes it and the other Dwarf Planets.

No comments:

Post a Comment